Updated: Nov 9, 2022
This project is created to explain Canada’s map. You can remix this project for your country. There are different effects applied and created few sprites to represent each province and territory of Canada. When the user clicks on the green flag, the animation will start. There is a recorded sound file given for the National anthem of Canada.
You should be familiar with coding blocks, backdrops, and sprites
1. Add/change new backdrops
2. Add/change new sprites
3. Familiar with looks blocks, Events blocks, Control blocks, Text to speech blocks, and Sound blocks.
Step 1: Imagine the project
This is only a sample. You can imagine different ways for the same project. The sky is the limit to your imagination.
Step 2: Design the project
For this map project, we are going to use backdrops, sprites, and code blocks.
1. Decide the backdrops you want to have it. In our case, we have 1 backdrop.
2. Decide the sprites you want to have it. In our case 16 sprites (it depends on how many states or provinces are in your country).
3. Decide what are the main animations you want to do it. Changing color effect, changing whirl effect, Changing sprites, Displaying text.
4. How you control the screen changes. In our case, we are using internal broadcast to control.
5. Decide what blocks you want to use. In our case Looks blocks, Events blocks, control blocks, Sound blocks, Text to speech blocks.
Step 3: Prepare coding cards
For this please refer to the scratch site - https://scratch.mit.edu/ideas to get an idea.
Step 4: Start to develop the code
Step 4.1: Go to https://scratch.mit.edu and sign in with your username and password.
Step 4.2: Click on create and go to the scratch editor
Step 4.3: Give the name of the project
Step 4.4: By default, the cat is the sprite. Select that and delete it.
Step 4.5: By default, a Blank white screen is a backdrop. Keep that and write the below code for the backdrop.
Note: for the sound file you can record your own (Your country’s national anthem).
Step 4.6: Add a new sprite Canada map. You can download an image from https://unsplash.com/ and save it to your local machine. After that, using upload sprite, upload the image.
Step 4.7: Add the below code to the above sprite.
Step 4.8: Add a new sprite. Upload an image from your computer – Canada flag (You can upload your own country flag)
Write the below code to the above sprite
Step 4.10: Add a new sprite. Upload an image from your computer – First province of Canada (you can upload your country’s province)
Step 4.11: Write the below code to the above sprite.
Step 4.12: Repeat steps 4.10 and 4.11 for other provinces. The broadcast message will differ for each province.
Step 4.13: Add a new sprite using paint to write “Thank you for watching”
Step 4.14: Add the below code for the above sprite.
You can remix this project and make your own.